Saturday, October 15, 2011

Should I ask, or just snap away?

Con-etiquette, do you have any? I can't stress it enough; there are numerous articles out there on this, why not add another? It might inform just a few more people of the dos and don'ts at their first con, maybe not even their first! It may be a convention, but it's still real life; you're not in an anime or a video game so you still need to use your manners.
ALWAYS ASK. Do you want a picture? Ask. Do you want to talk to them about their costume? Ask. Do you have the sudden urge to glomp them? For Christ's sake, ASK! Now some of you may ask, "Why do I need their permission? They're in costume, I mean should they expect it?" No. No one expects any of this, do you just happen to have a sixth sense for spotting photographers that want your picture, or rabid fangirls/boys, or fellow cosplayers that want your attention? I don't believe anyone does. Let's go into detail of why this is important:

Asking for photos:
Why should I ask for photos?
  • This person may be busy; they might be discussing something with a friend that might be important (such as losing a friend in the mass of geekiness), they might need to run off for something they really need to do (even cosplayers need to use the restroom), they might just possibly be on the phone, maybe they're late for something like a panel or a photoshoot or a contest. Regardless of what the case is, it's best to ask as you don't want to alarm the cosplayer with a flash and a click.
  • Posing! If you find a character you like, don't you want to see them in an epic pose rather than standing there chatting away or staring blankly? I'd much rather see a keyblade wielder ready for battle instead of one batting with the blade's keychain.
  • "Business cards"; some cosplayers carry around cards with their name, website, group name, etc on them. Why do they do this? They want to see the pictures taken of them! They put a lot of work into these costumes and they want to see other perspectives of their fine work. Plus, you can link back to them if someone wants to know who they are and you can follow their work as well.
Can I touch?
No! Ask before anything!
  • Just because they're cosplayers, it doesn't mean they aren't real people. Do you always just hug people that walk by? Honestly, this can be considered a safety issue. There are some people who freak out over physical contact, and a running glomp will not do any justice.
  • Personal space, people like theirs, let them have it.
  • Cosplays are very precious if they're made, and touching/swatting/glomping without permission can lead to something breaking and a very angry cosplayer. I'm very protective of my props and cosplays (though they aren't all that great), because I made them all on my own. I make hair accessories too and let me just say, when even the clip of the mini top hat I was wearing/made was destroyed due to someone hitting it (on purpose) and running off, I was very pissed off to the point I was going to hurt them. Sure it can be easily replaced, but when you break something from something someone put so much time into making, expect anger and lots of it. I even told them specifically NOT to touch it and look what they happened... Listen to what the cosplayer says.

Rabid Fans:
This is the only time I suggest you put your props to good use.
  • NO FAN WARS. Geez, you may think it's funny but there are people who think it's annoying. So moving back to that cosplay contest I mentioned in my last post...A Kingdom Hearts Riku happened upon the stage. Two girls. It only took TWO GIRLS to cause a minute long pause in the contest (sure a minute isn't a lot but...) "I LOVE YOU RIKU." "RIKU IS MINE!" "NO HE'S MINE." I do believe one of these girls was that Maka fangirl behind me...It went on far too long and everyone felt so awkward and the MC didn't even know how to recover from it...
  • Insane Rabid fans...I've heard some horror stories on this, but the one that really got to me was (I'd link, but the site has been taken down due to angering so many rabid fans)I don't watch Hetalia anymore, so excuse any incorrect info. One of the characters that wields a lead pipe (I think it's Russia?) is, of course in a group with other Hetalia cosplayers, and has an actual LEAD pipe. They seem to think they really "are" Russia as they encounter someone as Belarus (from what I've found on the wiki, is the sister of Russia in the series with some brother complex). Guess what they did? They hit the girl over the head with the lead pipe and laughed about it while the girl was crying. Lesson of the story: DON'T TAKE THINGS SERIOUSLY COSPLAY IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN FOR EVERYONE.
  • Fan service is Ok sometimes, but not all the time. Don't try to force two characters to pose for your pleasure if they are't comfortable. If you do, they have all the right to call con security on you and get you kicked out.
General Don'ts:
All the things that you just shouldn't do.

  • Be nice. Please, just do. I'll admit I can be very judgmental (that's why my sister recommended I join in on this), but don't say it outloud, and if you have a problem, don't be rude about it unless it's about someone being rude to you.
  • If you don't like something, deal with it. Too many Vocaloids? Don't look. Too many Kingdom Hearts cosplayers? Get over it. Too much Pokemon? There's not that much there. Too much Naruto? Someone has been using his Shadow Clone Juutsu too much. People all have different tastes, and if you don't like it, get over it. You can't change it. It's like trying to make me white because "I'm not a real Asian" (Feh, you're just mad because you're not Asian but think you are; true story). You can do all you want with it on the outside, but genetically I'll still be Asian. You can take the Narutos and put them in different cosplays, but they'll always be Naruto fans until they grow out of it or when the series ends in 50 years.
  • "Your wig sucks." Yeah...don't say things like that. The first time I used a wig, it was terrible for so many reasons. I hated it and felt embarrassed to wear it, hell even when my friends judged it, I wanted to cry. Just don't be so blunt and judgmental. You can point a few mistakes out or give suggestions when you're just talking to them about their cosplay.
  • Again, it's cosplay, you're not in the anime/game, so please don't be too serious. You can be in character, but I don't advise it all the time. If you're character is snobby and you act like that the whole time, people will really think you are an ass and you'll draw away any attention that was headed your way. And if your character is a moe type, be warned that there are people who might take advantage of that, and trust me, that's not something you'd ever want.
  • Don't harass a cosplayer. If they decline a picture, telling you how they made something, poses, a date, or whatever, accept it and move on. Now don't move on to another cosplayer and do the same, just move on to do something else that isn't a nuisance to others around you.
And so for now my list ends here; it probably will expand further on, and closer to MTAC, but for now consider these ideas and keep them in mind when you're at a con, even in public. At the Zombie Walk, my sister and I found 10+ photos of us we don't remember ever taking as well as numerous candid shots. So please, don't forget to ask and to be nice, or else you can ruin your reputation even at a con.

No comments: