Monday, December 26, 2011

NuScribe

 

With the rise of touch screen devices we often find a few inconveniences. First those ugly fingerprints and smudges. Secondly would be accuracy. We have all been there, replying to text message or trying to type when we keep getting the wrong letter. Maybe we want to watch a movie or view a picture only to see those darn smudges? Enter Newer Technology whose latest product would definitely seem aimed at these. NuScribe is a 2-in-1 stylus and pen for your touch screen devices. It comes in silver or pink and MSRP is $19.99, although it can currently be found at OWC for $10.00. Sounds like another stylus, right? So what’s the difference and how does it perform?

nuscribe

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It has a nice light weight feel and writes well on paper after a simple twist of the barrel. It is approximately the same size as a standard ballpoint pen. At the top of the stylus is where our fun begins as you can see the soft rubber nib. I must say I like the simple and yet eloquent design.

Performances, yes plural. The first device I tested on was my Asus Eee PC convertible Netbook which I have running the developer preview version of Windows 8. I start navigating around windows and then the internet and found it to be spot on accurate. Next I tapped the Start Menu followed by tapping the search bar. This allowed me to bring up the stylus input panel and I was able to write the word ‘paint’ very easily. With Paint ready and waiting to be tapped into play I launch it and drew a small sketch(below). Not being a graphics artists, I must admit I can’t draw very well. Despite my skills I was able to come up with this little bit of art very easily using NuScribe. Not bad at all, this worked extremely well.test DrawingNext I fired up my HP Touchpad and started browsing the internet and moving through Apps with relative ease. I did have to apply a bit more pressure in some cases. Next was Angry Birds. Wow, that was fun! The responsiveness and accuracy was spot on. Looks like that’s two devices it works great on!

Moving along to my iPod Touch I did the exact test as I performed on the HP Touchpad. Guess What? The results were very much the same. The only problem I ran into was while playing Angry Birds I would sometimes move the stylus down past the screen while aim and lose control. Not a fault of the stylus, just an observation. I suppose that would be three devices that work well with it.

Shall I test one more? I think so! I grabbed my HTC Surround Windows Phone 7. Navigating through apps, e-mail and the hubs works beautifully. Angry Birds worked well with only a little more pressure needed. Shuffle Party also worked very well. That makes four devices that work very, very well with NuScribe.

NuScribe has exceeded my expectations in performance on all my devices. It’s light and feels great while writing and while using as a Stylus. It does have an almost cheap feel to it, but other than the pocket clip and where the two parts of the barrel meet-it seems pretty solid. I wouldn’t want to try and put too much force on it. It would also appear that the ink is not replaceable for the pen function. Despite the aforementioned, I found NuScribe to eloquently designed and functions great with all sorts of Touch Screen devices, from phones, tablets, and convertible computers. I’m impressed. Enough Said!

No comments: